Add some green to a traditional baked potato with broccoli!
- Serving Size: 1 potato
- Recipe Makes: 6 servings
- 6 potatoes, medium
- 3 broccoli stalks (or 1 10-ounce package of frozen broccoli)
- 1/4 cup 1% milk*
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, low-fat, shredded (or cubed block cheese)**
- salt and pepper (to taste, optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Scrub the potatoes. Prick the skin with a fork in several places.
- Bake for 30-60 minutes until soft.
- Peel broccoli stems to get rid of the tough skin.
- Steam broccoli just until tender, and chop it into small pieces.
- Once cooled, slice the potatoes in half. Scoop the insides into a bowl with the broccoli. Add milk, 3/4 cup cheese, salt and pepper. Mash together until the mixture is pale green with dark green flecks.
- Put the potato mixture into the potato skins and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup of cheese. Microwave to heat through.
- Potatoes can be microwaved instead of baked. Directions here.
1 potato provides:
- 230 calories, 2 g. Fat, 1 g. Saturated Fat, 180 mg. Sodium, 43 g. Carbohydrates, 7 g. Fiber, and 11 g. Protein
This recipe contains milk.
*If you are allergic to milk; try soy, almond, rice, or other dairy-free alternatives.
**If you are allergic to milk-based cheese, try soy-based cheese or other dairy-free alternatives.
For kids 2- 4 years old, serve food in the following ways:
- Cut food into half inch pieces.