The Pennsylvania Nutrition Education Network (PA NEN) and food banks across the state are always on the lookout for new recipes to show that meals can be healthy and affordable. That’s why we ran a healthy recipe submission contest among Pennsylvania’s high school, vocational technical, culinary students. Now, we’re thrilled to announce the top-three student winners who submitted recipes. These students presented their recipe to health and nutrition professionals across the state during our Healthy Recipe Challenge Winners' Showcase.
Participating Culinary Students:
Pictured from left to right: Chef-students, Ryan Gill and Hailey Ott, attended a Healthy Recipe Challenge Winners’ Showcase highlighting ingredients found at Pennsylvania Food Banks!
During this Showcase, three recipe demonstrations were led by Cumberland Perry Area Vocational Technical School students:
- Runner-up: Hailey Ott cooked up Creamy Chicken with Pasta and Mushrooms.
- Runner-up: John Truitt found a way to satisfy a burger craving with his salmon burger patties.
- Winner: Ryan Gill combined ground beef, cheese and fresh vegetables for his Quick Quesadillas!
Pictured from left to right: Celebrity judges of the Healthy Recipe Challenge Showcase - Cheryl Cook, Pennsylvania Dept. of Agriculture; Jane Clements-Smith, Feeding Pennsylvania; and Joe Author, Central PA Food Bank
The following judges taste-tested student recipes and selected their favorite one:
- Cheryl Cook – Deputy Secretary of Marketing for the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture
- Jane Clements-Smith – Executive Director of Feeding Pennsylvania
- Joe Author – Executive Director of the Central Pennsylvania Food Bank
Pictured: Participants of the Healthy Recipe Challenge Showcase hosted at the Central PA Food Bank test kitchen.
- All three recipes have been highlighted on the Pennsylvania Nutrition Education Network’s recipe website to be used by food pantries, food banks and other community partners across the state.
- Recipes will also be submitted to a national recipe database – What’s Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl.
- Our winner, Ryan Gill, will have a chance to share his recipe on ABC27’s Good Day PA!
Pictured: 1st prize trophy and cutting board made by David E. Cummings.
Special Thanks to our Community Partners who Participated in this Event:
- Cumberland Perry Area Vocational Technical School's Culinary Instructor, Tim McGrath, and his culinary students
- PA NEN Board Members and key PA NEN Members
- ABC27 News for highlighting the event on the evening news
- Photographers: Becky Gorton, PA NEN Staff and Nellie Stinson, Central PA Food Bank's Community Engagement Associate