- identifies novel nutrition initiatives
- creates evidence-based nutrition resources
- collaborates with government agencies, organizations, food pantries, food banks and other sectors to gather health and nutrition-focused information to better serve our low-income communities.
- grows PA NEN's "Eat Together PA" Social Marketing Campaign encouraging affordable family meals for all Pennsylvanians.
Learn more about the history of this committee here.
- Guide the development and implementation of the social marketing campaign.
- Drive expansion of PA NEN's nutrition education activities.
- Lead on-going project assessment
- Utilizing the broad scope of the committee, this committee evaluate the appropriateness of PA NEN's nutrition education materials for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), food bank and food pantry participants. Though 170,000+ pieces of these materials have been distributed annually, this committee is now prioritizing a new marketing mix including digital promotion and statewide partnerships.
The committee will maximize the impact of social marketing and other nutrition education interventions for the SNAP-eligible population.
The social marketing campaign, Eat Together PA, will reach targeted populations (in Lancaster, Tioga, Allegheny, Philadelphia, Crawford, Dauphin, and Somerset counties) throughout 2018-2019. Expansion will continue in future years.
Conference calls will occur on the fourth Thursday of every month at 9:00 AM.
Social Marketing Committee Members for 2018
Pat Druhan, Chair - Director of Food Resources & Nutrition at Montgomery County Community Action Development Commission
Cheryl Beling - Registered Dietitian (retired)
Christine Brennan - Project Director at PA SNAP-Ed Management Entity
Susan Cubbage - Director at Fulton County Food Basket
Serina Gaston - PA NEN Executive Director
Amy Deahl-Greenlaw - Registered Dietitian and Nutrition ConsultantMuffin Friedman - Director at Philadelphia School District (retired)
Carolyn Gilles - Penn State Extension (retired)
Claire Harpster - Community Nutritionist at PA SNAP-Ed Management Entity
Mary Ann Mihok - Registered Dietitian (retired)
Holly Michaels - WellSpan York Hospital
Pamela Parseghian - Health Promotion Council
Miguel Ramirez - PA NEN Member (retired)
Devon Sundberg - Coordinator of Dietetic Services at Philadelphia School District's Division of Food Services
Laura Sahd - Masters Student at the University of Delaware
Melissa Altman-Traub - Professor at La Salle and the Community College of Philadelphia
Suzanne Weltman - Nutrition Links Regional Coordinator and Dining with Diabetes Coordinator at Cooperative Extension
Meghan Zook - Registered Dietitian and Nutrition & Refugee Program Assistant in Beirut, Lebanon
Amanda Frankeny, PA NEN Staff Liaison