The following organizations, govnerment agencies, nonprofits, foundations, and advocates vividly illustrate food politics in action. They provide accessable, balanced accounts of the dietary and physical activity recommendations, healthier schools lunches, various modifications to Federal Nutrition Programs, food labeling, agricultural policy, and more!
Click the links below to gain insights from the strategic decision-makers pushing for a healthier tomorrow.
The White House 2017
- Check out this page to learn the Congress members assigned to various health and nutrition related committees.
- The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- The Pennsylvania Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- The American Public Health Association
- The Society of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- The Reinvestment Fund
- The Farm-to-School Network
- The Center for Science in the Public Interest
- The US Department of Agriculture
- The US Department of Agriculture's Food and Nutrition Services - Click on the "Programs" tab on the top, right-hand side of their website. Select the program you want to see, and you can click on the policy behind it by scrolling down and clicking "Program Policy" on the left sidebar.
- The Department of Health and Human Services
- The Food and Drug Administration
- Association of SNAP-Ed Nutrition Networks and Other Implementing Agencies
- The Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion
- The Senate Agriculture, Nutrition and Forestry Committee
- The House Committee on Agriculture
John Hopkins Center for a Livable Future's Food Policy Network
Columbia University's Laurie M. Tisch Center for Food, Education & Policy
- Hunger Free Pennsylvania
- Feeding Pennsylvania
- The Pennsylvania Dietetic Association
- The Greater Philadelphia Coalition Against Hunger
- The Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank
Why should Registered Dietitian Nutritionists, Dietetic Technicians, and other health professionals be involved in policy?
- Dietetic interns and graduate students from Maine interview their professors for the answer on this video.
Food Politics Databases:
- Plate of the Union is a petition calling our next president to fix our broken food system.
- Food Policy Action rates your state's legislaters on their food politics views.
- The UCONN Rudd Center hosts a legislative update database where you can search food and nutrition policy happening throughout the years!
- For the most recent federal and state nutrition updates, the UConn Rudd Center for Food Policy & Obesity publishes this extensive monthly report. Sign up for monthly updates by contacting Whitney.
Food Politics Training:
- The Society of Nutrition Education and Behavior put on a webinar “Getting Prepped to Visit Lawmakers: Tips and Guidance on Meeting with Policy Makers on the Importance of Nutrition Education.” Learn how you can educate your local politician about what you’re doing in the field. View the webinar recording or retrieve the slides here.